I love to dance. Those who know me pretty well know this fact. Unfortunately though, I am not blessed with this talent and so secretly, I have always wanted to take dance classes. Jazz, salsa, samba, hiphop, even ceilidh dancing! Back home, dance classes were too expensive or they were held in really posh places or I was too shy. I don't know which excuse I used but I always had one whenever I would think about enrolling into a class.
Last term, I decided to be cool and so I took up ceilidh dancing. It was by far the most Scottish thing that I did since I came here. Every Thursday, I would walk to St. Peter's Church, which was about a 15min walk from my residence, and dance for an hour with locals and other eager beaver foreigners. I learned how to do the Virginia Reel, the Flying Scotsman, and my all time favorite, the Belgian dance. It was so much fun to twirl and spin and to skip and hop with strangers but my favorite dance partner is my flatmate Megan. Because let's be honest, most white people can't dance. But you didn't hear that from me. And then I got tired of ceilidh dancing. Well not really, I am usually busy Thursday nights because most of my submissions are on a Friday morning so I haven't been to ceilidh class in a month. But since I have been eating so much lately, I decided to do be more active. I don't walk around the city as much as I'd like to because it's just so damn cold all the time and that's why I end up stuffing my face with whatever I can find.
Yesterday after class, I went to the university gym with my friend Quianna. We attended the hiphop dance class which was being taught by this short hairy white guy who I think is from Aberdeen 'cause he keeps saying "Yeah?" all the time but Quianna thinks he is Spanish. And what was so funny was that Quianna was the only Black person in that entire class. There were a couple of Asians there but mostly Europeans and Americans. Majority of the class were women too. And I reiterate... Most white people can't dance. So for an hour, we were busting our moves to Rihanna, Neyo, JT, Mario, and Beyonce. You gotta love the British, they are so behind the times when it comes to music. Anyway, the dance routine was actually pretty easy so we didn't have any trouble learning it. And except for his high pitched whistle, I really liked the instructor. I had to laugh though when we were doing the "chest bump" because as you know, I am not really gifted in that department either.
I just love the fact that this city has given me the chance to do the things I have always wanted to do. Again, Edinburgh has given me one more reason to love it even more.
*****************************************************************************************
On a totally unrelated note, my sister Hannah has given birth to a beautiful baby boy yesterday. :) I can't wait to see the little guy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I afraid to dance... in public. Or rather I'm afraid of what people will think when they see me "dance." I wish I had my own Edinburgh, so I can take a dance class and laugh at white people. :)
ReplyDeleteGuess what! I'm doing Tango now too. Haha. And soon when I have the time and the guts, I'm going to try out Salsa. hahaha!
ReplyDeletecome on guys heheh ive seen you dance through high school hahahahahha not sure if our cheer dances count.. congrats on your sister for the bouncing baby boy idamae!!! ^,^
ReplyDelete