I woke up with the sun shining on my face and thinking "Graaaaaa, init!". But then I realized my pillow was right next to the heater. (Oh, so that explains the heat.) But the sky was clear, the sun was out, it was too good a day to waste. So I took a shower, changed into my "walking outfit" and downed a bowl of cereal in record time while chatting with Jessie and Atejuni on YM. With my ipod filled with new tunes I downloaded last night, I began to jog up Calton Hill. While climbing those ridiculous steps, I can't help but think that it was a stupid idea to go alone cause no one would take my picture! Then, I saw this guy, about my age or older I suppose, taking his picture with his camera perched on a rock on self-timer. Brilliant! I could do that. Then I had another idea, so I walked up to him and asked if I would like to take his picture. He said that he was fine and then asked if I wanted him to take my picture. Aha, it worked! So that's how I met, Juro. My new friend from Serbia.
While being each other's photographer, we got into talking about Edinburgh, school, career plans, everything basically. I found out that Juro is in Edinburgh on holiday with friends and that he studies power engineering in Serbia and was on a 6 month exchange program in England. He loves to travel and has been to Cuba, America, Spain, Greece, and other interesting places. He told me that he is planning to go to Thailand in February and so I gave him tips about where to shop and where to eat in Bangkok. In return, he told me which places in Europe I should go visit, comparing them to the cities he has been in America. I was quite surprised when he said that he didn't like Vegas and that the only great thing about it was the Hoover Dam. I am a fan of hydraulic power plants and after watching the NGC Megastructures episode on the Hoover, I vowed to myself that I am going to go there someday. Talking to him about it made me want to see it more.
After having exhausted all our photo taking abilities, we had drinks (me a hot chocolate, him a warm whisky) at local pub called, The Last Drop. I told him about my huge family (his mouth dropped when I told him I had 7 brothers and sisters), my degree, and my plans for the future. He laughed when I shared stories from my childhood and was appalled when I described Sisig and the Behrouz' Ox Brain. It was really nice talking to him because he is very open-minded, smart and well traveled. Around one o'clock, I told him I had to leave because I still haven't done much for my Csound assignment. So we said our goodbyes and promised to keep in touch through Facebook.
I think the best part about studying abroad is the different people that you meet and having to hear their stories. It's not so much what you learn in the classrooms but what you take in from the experience of being in another place and another culture. This is what strengthens your character and molds you into being who you want to be. We are here in this world not because of career or money or power. We are here because we want to experience life and to have our stories heard.
uuuyyyy... yan na ba ung hinihintay ko edamame??
ReplyDeleterissa pala 'to.. hahaha!
ReplyDeletetrue ida mae! it's also what im going to miss being out here, meeting people and hearing their stories! makes you want to hug the world even more, to know its stories as experienced by different people.
ReplyDeleteenjoy the world!
@ star chic/rissa : errr no? Like I said, he was only here for a holiday. :p
ReplyDelete@ blogging mistress : true true effy. I am having the time of my life here. I hope you're enjoying your last days in the land down under. :)
mae!!!!!!!!! im soooooooo happy and envious of you at the same time!! hahaha serbian guys are cute :) pero imu serbian d man ko sure if cute...
ReplyDelete